Below are some key questions from Gosa & Fields (2012) Is Hip-Hop Education Another Hustle – The (Ir) Responsible Use of Hip-Hop as Pedagogy in this book:
I find myself returning to them regularly.
- How am I qualified to incorporate hip-hop in my teaching?
- What is my connection to hip-hop and am I just exploiting for my own interests?
- How will my hip-hop curriculum prepare students for future success?
- What interpretations of “hip-hop” will be endorsed in my program?
- Will my use of hip-hop place arbitrary limits on youth culture?
- What place do rappers, wealthy celebrities, and corporations have in an empowering pedagogy or curriculum?
- Am I being realistic in my goals and the limitations of hip-hop?